Preparation Course for NPPE – Ethics and Law Exam
5 session (15 hours)
As a prerequisite for registration in the APEGA, engineering, geology, and geophysics graduates and first time applicants are required to successfully complete the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE – Ethics and Law Exam). This 5-session, 15-hour seminar reviews the primary literature required by APEGA and provides preparation for exam writing in the general areas of Engineering Practice and Ethics and Fundamentals of Professional Engineering Law. It also covers the Occupational Health and Safety Act. The final session includes a review of 100 multiple choice questions in preparation for the exam. Each participant receives copies of the materials covered throughout the seminar. Access to the textbooks and literature required by APEGA is recommended.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for Engineering, Geology, and Geophysics graduates who need to obtain their APEGA licences.
- Ethical Theories and Code of Ethics
- Ethics for three different groups of Professionals: Managers, Employees, and Private Sector
- Specific issues in Ethics: Environmental Ethics, Computer Ethics, Ethics in human resource procedures
- Canadian Legal System
- Business Organizational Structures
- Professional implications: Tort Law, Contract Law, and “Product Liability”
- Tort law
- Contract Classifications: Choosing project participants
- Contract Classifications: Delivering Methods: Design-Build, Design-Bid-Build, etc.
- Contract Classifications: Compensation Methods: Fixed Price, Cost Plus, etc.
- Life Cycle of a Contract: Awarding, Executing and Terminating
- Specific issues in contracts: Breaches, Disputes and Delays
- Important Clauses in Construction Contracts
- Subcontractor Contracts
- Specific types of Contracts: Insurance and Bond
- Other types of law for Professionals: Property Law, Labour Law, Employment Law, Environmental Law
- Property Law: Real vs. Intellectual; Different types of Intellectual Properties
- Regulating a Profession
- APEGA’s Act
- APEGA’s Regulations and Bylaws
- Disciplinary procedures
- Updating your knowledge
- Exam Preparation: How to study and how to write the exam
- Multiple choice questions practice and review.
1. Does this course guarantee my passing the exam?
No, passing the exam is dependent on your personal studying time, the effort you put into it, and your test-taking abilities.
2. What is the success-rate of your students?
The privacy rights of my students limit my ability to determine such a concrete number, but the feedback certain individuals provide me following their exams is most often positive.
3. Do you cover all the subjects in the exam materials?
No, it would impossible to cover all the subjects in the exam materials in a one-day course. The subjects covered are the most important or difficult-to-grasp ones in the exam materials.
4. Did you use the presentations provided by the publishers of “Ethics” and “Law” books?
No, and there are a few reasons for that. Firstly, there is quite a bit of overlap in the two books, which would have resulted in a lot of wasted time in-class. Secondly, the presentations provided by the publishers are designed for long-term courses, whereas this is a condensed one-day course. And thirdly, the presentations lacked visual components that tend to assist condensed learning.In creating my own presentations, I did my best to remedy the above problems while at the same, incorporating the best characteristics and methods I witnessed in the publishers’ course material.
5. How did you decide which subjects were the “important” and “hard to grasp” ones?
I studied and reviewed a variety of material provided to engineers in assisting them to pass their licensing exams in other provinces and even in other countries. In doing so, I manage to come up with the most common, and most important subjects. Additionally, I gained knowledge from various legally-obtained sample questions from the exams in different Canadian provinces.
6. How can you possibly take two big books and develop them into a single one-day course?
The important thing to remember is that these books were not written specifically for the exam, and therefore contain extraneous information in that regard. Additionally, the length of this course and the presence of an instructor eliminated the amount of reviewed information that would be required in a book. Lastly, as mentioned before, the course does not contain all the subjects covered in the books, only the most important and/or hard-to-grasp ones.
7. What qualifies you as a suitable instructor for this course?
My years of experience as a teacher and also my years of experience in the field within the professional environment of another country allowed me to maintain a fresh perspective which assisted in the recognition of topics that could be hard to grasp for someone new to the professional environment of Canada.
8. At the end of your course, how can I gauge how well I am prepared?
I provide my students with a mock exam with 100 questions to match the APEGA exam. You will be provided with a shorter time-span to improve your skills in accelerated test-taking, but following this mock exam, we will discuss the most-debated questions and reach a collective agreement regarding each question. Following the personal marking of your answers, the test can be taken home to assist your continued studies.
9. Are the questions on your mock exams identical to those we may find on the official exam?
No, I am legally withheld from providing you with official APEGA questions, if I am aware of. My questions, whether designed by me or borrowed from the material provided to me as an instructor, ensure your understanding of all the topics covered in the course while maintaining a level of difficulty to match the APEGA exam. Additionally, the breakdown of the number of questions from each topic and/or subject is similar to that of the official exam, thereby mimicking the emphasis put on each topic by APEGA.
10. I like to learn with slower pace is there any other option available?
I also have another course, which is within 5 weeks. Each week there is a session of three hours and for the rest of week you can do self-study.
11. I have some ideas of the topics and can learn quicker. Is there any other option available for me?
I also have another course, which is one day class. You can attend that class.
Who has attended this course?
People in the following positions have attended this course:
During the NPPE Preparation Course I learned the essential skill of discerning the “right answers” from “misleading / confusing answers”, especially through elaboration of the examples. This allowed me to pass the exam even though I didn’t spend a significant amount of time studying.
I appreciate for your big help!
Taking your course was very helpful . The way that you discuss the different topics make easier to understand big portion of material provided for the exam study.
Following are some significant items that differentiate your course from the course I already took:
-Provide right advice about materials that should be focused for study
– Provide and discuss logic relation between topics and simplifying difficult discussions (ethic, Law,…) To make them easier to understand using special teaching techniques
– Practice on mock exam that type of questions is similar to real exam
Again, appreciate for your help.”
“The results are out and I passed and my Professional License too now. To be frank, other than your class I just spent approx. 5 hours in going through your notes as well as just the main Apega Book. Thanks for the wonderful class.”
Please check here
Please Contact Me
This course also can be delivered as ‘in-house’ for organisations. To schedule your in house course please click here.